A Royal Baby!

Congratulations to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex on the arrival of their baby boy Archie!

Much speculation has been circulating about Meghan Markle’s birth, and this definitly has the doula world abuzz! Many are hoping that this coverage will shed some more light on midwives and doulas and make them a more frequent choice for expecting parents.

So let’s put this question to The Momma Village:

Did you have a birth doula? Why or why not?

or

Do you plan to have a birth doula? Why or why not?

Answer in the comments below!

16 Comments

1. Elysha Oliver on May 10, 2019 at 1:43 pm

I did not have a doula, however I wish I had in hindsight! Our initial worry was the cost, but I think the benefits of having a knowledgeable advocate when our birth didn’t go as planned would have been invaluable.

2. Alicia on May 10, 2019 at 2:24 pm

I had a birth doula for my first baby! Helped me feel more prepared since I didn’t know what to expect.

3. Lesley on May 10, 2019 at 2:31 pm

I did not have a doula because I was confident in my support system and mindset leading up to the both of both my children. It was a decision though that did take us a few weeks to make.

4. Debby on May 10, 2019 at 2:34 pm

We did not have one because we didn’t realize how helpful it would have been. But oh man, we could have used one!

5. Sarah Gray on May 10, 2019 at 2:49 pm

We did not, but it certainly would’ve been helpful as a first time mom! I did get the natural birth I wanted but it was accompanied by a lot of fear and I feel like both my husband and I could’ve benefited from the support of a compassionate professional.

6. Jill Archer on May 10, 2019 at 3:41 pm

We did not have a birth doula, mainly because I thought I had enough support with the midwives, my husband and family. If we have a second child, I will definitely consider it now that I know what they have to offer. It would be great to have spoken about birth plans more thoroughly with someone!

7. Theresa Morrison on May 10, 2019 at 3:54 pm

We didn’t have a doula, mainly due to cost but wish we had for our first for the extra support.

8. Helen B on May 10, 2019 at 4:30 pm

We didn’t have a doula, we felt very supported by our midwives and the awesome information given to us in our childbirth education class prepping both me and my husband physically, mentally and emotionally!

9. Holly Elsner on May 10, 2019 at 4:38 pm

I didn’t use a doula for my daughter’s birth, simply because it wasn’t in our budget. We had a great midwife team, but I think I would consider a post-partum doula next time around.

10. Dina Q on May 10, 2019 at 6:22 pm

I did not for either birth. We did a great prenatal class and my husband was an amazing support.

11. Laura on May 10, 2019 at 7:03 pm

I didn’t have one mostly bc I felt very supported by my husband and felt I had the tools to cope (I am a pelvic floor Physio and have some training with birthing strategies)

12. Emily McWilliams on May 10, 2019 at 7:59 pm

I didn’t use a doula because I really didn’t do enough research. Knowing what I know now, if I could do it all over again I’d 100% be using a doula.

13. Eleanor A on May 10, 2019 at 8:21 pm

I did not have a doula, mostly because of cost. But I think it’s a great service! My husband and I took awesome prenatal classes with Toni from MMC, and I prepared a postpartum self-care plan for myself, including reaching out for support to family. But I would recommend the service to those with the budget, or those without family nearby.

14. Emily Riley on May 10, 2019 at 10:37 pm

We didn’t have a doula birth for our first because we were at a smaller hospital and had a great midwife team.

We used a doula for our second because we wanted the additional support and someone else there that knew us and what we were fully hoping for. Both my husband and I were so glad that we used MMC for our doulas for our second kiddo!

15. Kylli-Larese Martin-Eccles on May 17, 2019 at 4:47 pm

I didn’t have a birth doula because my entire vision and plan since day one had just always been me, my husband and my midwife in my little bedroom when he came.

I did see a doula leading up to labour who taught me comfort measures, birthing techniques and helped coach my partner on how to coach me.

16. Kate on May 17, 2019 at 8:01 pm

I had a wonderful doula student for my third baby! My first I had a best friend of mine, my second I wish I had more support and my third I had a student! Doulas are wonderful!